Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pomegranates Revisited, Another Season

In December, 2006 I undertook a collaborative art project I called the "Pomegranate Exercise." The project was inspired by the eaten out, empty pomegranate shells I was finding on my walks around Ojai that winter. I resonated with those empty shells, they felt like an accurate mirror of my inner state. Twenty three other women artists agreed to let me mail then a pomegranate shell and also agreed to use it to prompt their art making. We had a show in May 2007 of all the transformed pomegranates and the artists' reflections; the show can be viewed on my website.
I never again found shells the way I did that season. This year we are in residence here as the pomegranates have dropped their gorgeous flowers and have begun to set out their fruit. I watch as the fruit swells from a tiny crenelated bell to a round vessel and imagine the crimson seeds multiplying within. I find that this year I also resonate with the pomegranates. I feel renewed life, new projects growing, and old projects are blooming in a new cycle. I am especially excited to be working again with the Open Studio Project helping to offer the first stage of the Facilitators Training Program.
It is wonderful to be reminded that the cycle of fruiting and dying are ever present in us and in everything. The pomegranate art gave me a focus for meditating on emptiness and kept me busy while the energy slowly flowed back underground to my core,  rejuvenating my essence and preparing me for what was to come next. I am so grateful to all the women who joined me and whose work supported me in that time of transformation. I know that some of them are also moving into new exciting projects. Deborah Feinstein is Vice President of the Vilna Shul in Boston, MA and working on hosting a conference on Jewish identity there next year that she will integrate art into and which will yield an eventual exhibit. Janis Timm-Bottos is on her way to Montreal to begin teaching in a graduate art therapy program and also set up a community studio for research and learning. Lisa Sorce-Schmitz probably just gave birth to her second child and continues to hold the space for magic and creativity at Whispers from the Moon Studio in Oak Park. Kim Conner has become a Reiki Master and has a vibrant practice. Joanne Ramseyer has open Blue Lotus Studio in Evanston, IL. Wendy Lauter just finished presiding over the second annual Mitziut Art Show and is back growing gourds and sharing gourd magic all over Chicago. M.G. Maloney is running the speakers program for Barbara's Bookstore and making plans to return to school for a degree in library science. Sallie Wolf, who graciously hosted the Pomegranate Exercise show at her studio Calypso Moon, has a new book, The robin makes a laughing sound: A birder's journal. I hope any of the other artists who I have not been in touch with recently will comment here on the blog and let everyone know what you are up to as well. I am so grateful for such fellow travelers.
Everything is change. Life gives way to death; the stillness eventually stirs with new life. Amazingly, we can count on that.

5 comments:

  1. love this post and update! will, perhaps, find my way to one of the offerings in evanston--it might be time to visit the mecca and source. pomegranate was my symbol traveled with margaret lindsey in her symbolic process class. it has stayed with me and always will, of course--it comes in that one moment where she says, in her coyote way, "just for a moment be who you really are--see what comes to you" and there, the pomegranate was...
    so grateful for your place on my path, dear pat. i am doing my final presentation for my thesis review committee on the 30th. i carry you with me in the webs and weaving...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patty dearest one !
    I see my pomogranite project when I ig amongst the possessions I packed when I moved back onto the grid last September. It reminds me of the wild world and all its mystery that is now replaced with electric heat,two toilets and running water ! My dogs and I miss the stillness,the complete darkness and the openeness of life in the woods but are greatful for the pleasures of the modern age.
    I am working at home on an online project to help others allow wealth and positive movement in their lives. We are working with breathe and the imagination. This is where four years of working with horses had led me !
    I am still in the Northwest on a gloomy June day but I have learned to love te coziness.
    So great to hear you and send you much love
    as always,
    CristinaMaureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Pat
    Great to see your awareness with the pomegranates has resurfaced once again and in a way that its "juicy". Love what you have shared with us.
    My pomegrante is sitting out in my art space and when I see it, think of you and all the women connected to this project. Was and still is a powerful image. Time to revisit.
    As for what I am doing these days. Continuing to teach yoga,meditation and the love & passion of mandala art to others who share in the process of these images unfolding with delight and surprise.
    Working on creating a blog or something like it to get my mandala art out and expanded into the world. Art continues to be a very powerful expression for me to learn, grow and expand. Continue to work with the process. Powerful. Also, spend time in my garden, and with the grand children, love time with them, so precious.
    Love, light and many blessings as you continue to transform and share your insights with all of us.
    Love, Jackie Huxel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, after reading your June 24th Blog I sat most of the day with my reflections too. Thoughts and feeling crowded in all day. Spirit moved through me and I hope my thoughts convey the sparkly, sparkles of my love for my Pomegranate and the creative process.
    I was deeply by the moved by the energy of the “Pomegranate Exercise”. In accepting your invitation I was opening myself to the universal energy of a pomegranate. Opening the box was like finding a unique, precious jewel. A delicate roundish, reddish orb surrounded in cotton. There was a moment of sacredness’ in lifting the pomegranate out of the box. In that moment my conversation began with the Pomegranate. Amazing to me still how that dark, empty orb of the void came into my life filling my soul with its energetic currents. Like a flame lighting the light of my own being. Life is so mysterious. But yet are we not containers of source like our shell of pomegranates? Of course we are because we discover something endures beyond, the same as our pomegranates.
    In loving gratitude,
    With affection, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat- We made it to Montreal through a flood, a nearby tornadoe, a G8 and G20 too. It feels great to be finally at home--in our new town!
    Funny you should post this pomegranate reflection becuase in the packing to move, I came across my project and decided to remove my figure's pomegranate head--remember it crushed on route to you. I couldnt bear to give up on the gal so packed her body safely among books and other cherished art work (some from you:) I would love to reassemble a new head--will probably really need to--with my new job and all. Much love and light, Janis

    ReplyDelete