Thursday, June 10, 2010

Amazing Visitors or Maybe I'm the Visitor...

I've been reading a number of books lately on nature spirits, commonly called devas. All the writers mention that by spending time just hanging out and observing in nature, more and more devas will show up and reveal all sorts of things. So far I am very comfortable sitting under Comarade, the oak tree in front of the house, I've set up a little altar to Lilith there with a plaque I made many years ago and have been waiting to find the right spot for. I asked permission of Comarade and I also hung a bronze bell from Arcosanti. During one of my sojourns under the tree, I spied a beautiful caterpillar a few yards away. This area is an easy place for me to slip into meditation and I've gotten some amazing information and guidance here.
The backyard is still a bit overwhelming, its a very big space and easier to view from the deck. I venture down there but often feel like I can't take it all in. But, last weekend I had several encounters that confirmed for me that the devas are at work and taking notice of my efforts, and rewarding them in delightful ways. On Saturday, I climbed down the steps to the grass and at my feet were hundreds of tiny frogs!! Each about the size of my thumbnail had lovely markings. The photo in no way does justice to the phenomenon. I went and got my camera and even took a video clip but really, it was far more magical than what showed up in the images. I spent about an hour just watching them play in the grass and hop around. They also prompted me to call my sister because she uses the acronym 'frog' (fully rely on God) to prompt her when she starts to stress out. The devas are definitely strengthening our relationship as one of their gifts.
The next day, I went out to see if the frogs were there again. It was earlier and very misty. Instead of the frogs I was greeted by an exquisite spider web festooned with water droplets. It hung across the steps so I sat down and simply enjoyed its beauty. The incredible gift that the devas bestow is a sense of peace, harmony and oneness with all creation that is actually grounded in Earth wisdom and not some kind of flighty out of body experience. I am finding this an incredible antidote and balance to aid in holding a loving awareness of the difficult things (like oil spills and war) that are also going on. With the devas' help it is possible to hold an open awareness and an honest feeling state without either shutting down, feeling hopeless and cynical or striving through frantic action to "do" something. Yet, it does not induce passive inaction. I continue to sign petitions for groups like the Union of Concerned Scientists, write my congress folk and meditate on a vision of peace and wholeness but  there is a sense of calm that is growing that I notice is different than the low-grade anxiety I have often felt even when engaging in these sorts of efforts.
I am fortunate to live nearby Krotona, one of the Theosophical Society centers which has an excellent library. I found tons of books on the subject of nature spirits, devas, working with subtle energies and more.  Among the theosophists who have written on the subject of devas are Geoffrey Hodson, Alice Bailey, Helene Blavatsky and Rudolph Steiner. A contemporary book I recommend is The deva handbook: How to work with nature's subtle energy by Nathaniel Altman. He describes some excellent techniques for getting in touch with devas in any area, country, city or wherever you find yourself. I am appreciating the growing sense that I am accompanied by many fellow travelers in this world that I can get to know much better with a little effort and have much to gain. All the writers on devas that I have read emphasize that our loving energy and gratitude is part of what sustains the health and welbeing of all creation. That's really not too much to ask, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment